Education and Research Department Staff
The Northern Ireland Hospice education department has a wide range of clinical, research and professional expertise amongst its members of staff. The team have wide experience in the field of Palliative and End of Life Care. A number of clinical staff also participate in delivering education.
Prof Max Watson, Consultant/Professor in Palliative Care
Max Watson is a visiting professor at the University of Ulster, a Consultant at the Northern Ireland Hospice and an honorary consultant at the Princess Alice Hospice. He chairs the RCGP End of Life Care Committee and is a clinical advisor to the Gold Standards Framework programme in the UK. He has authored many books including the 'Oxford Handbook of Palliative Care' and is series editor of the Oxford specialist end of life handbooks. Max's research interests include cancer related fatigue and cachexia, end of life care for people with dementia, generalist palliative care education, and improving palliative care in resource limited settings. He is the originator of the European Certificate in Essential Palliative Care that has trained over 5,000 Doctors and Nurses worldwide.
Sue Foster, Lecturer in Palliative Care
Sue Foster is a Lecturer in Palliative Care. Sue previously worked for Northern Ireland Hospice as a Hospice Nurse Specialist. She co-ordinates the European Certificate in Essential Palliative Care along with the other Study Days and Masterclasses organised by Northern Ireland Hospice.
Tracey McTernaghan, Education Administrator/Conference Manager
Tracey McTernaghan is Education Administrator/Conference Manager. She has extensive experience in the management, organisation and promotion of courses, study days and masterclasses.
Claire Armstrong, Education Administrative Assistant
Claire Armstrong is Education Administrator Assistant. Her main role is to provide administration for study days, courses and masterclasses and secretarial support to the department.
Recent Book Publications and Chapters
- Collinson, F. and Bleakley, K. (2009) Supporting Children and Families. In: Price, J and McNeilly, P (eds) In: Palliative Care for Children and Families Hampshire: Macmillan
- O'Reilly, K., Watson, M. and Simon, C. (2010) Oxford General Practice Library - Pain and Palliation. Oxford:.Oxford General Practice Library: Oxford University Press
- Watson, M., Lucas, C., Hoy, A. and Back, I. (2009) Oxford handbook of palliative care. 2nd edition, Oxford: Oxford University press
- Payne, C. and Watson, M. (2010) Ch15 Palliative Care. In: Payne, A. and Barker, H. eds. Advancing Dietetics and Clinical Nutrition Oxford: Churchill Livingstone
- Watson, M. (2010) Spirituality and Advance Care Planning In: Thomas, K. and Lobo, B. Advance Care Planning in End of Life Care Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Watson, M., Simon, C., Fenton, A., Drake, A., McLoughlin, C. and Wilson, R. (2010) Cancer Care, Oxford General Practice Library: Oxford University Press
- Watson, M. and Ryan, K. (2009) Neuropathic Pain. Indian Association of Palliative Care Conference Handbook, February 2009: Delhi
- Watson, M. (2011) Spiritual Aspects of Advance Care Planning. Advance Care Planning in End of Life Care, edited by Thomas, K. and Lobo, B. Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Payne, C. and Watson, M. (2010) Nutrition at the End of Life. Cancer Nutrition, London: Elsevier
- Watson, M. and Ryan, K. (2009) Neuropathic Pain. Indian Association of Palliative Care Conference Handbook, Delhi
- Oncology and Palliative Care Chapter, Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine. Due for publication 2012
Series Editor (Prof Max Watson)
Spathis, A., Davies, H. and Booth, S. (January 2011) Respiratory Disease from Advanced Disease to Bereavement, Oxford: Oxford University Press
Pace, V., Treolar, A. and Scott, S. (July 2011) Dementia from Advanced Disease to Bereavement, Oxford: Oxford University Press
Johnston, M., Hogg, J. and Beattie, J. (January 2012) Heart Failure from Advanced Disease to Bereavement, Oxford: Oxford University Press
Watson, M., Lucas, C., Hoy, A., Back, I. and Armstrong, P. (June 2011) eds, Palliapp - Evidence Based Guidelines with Regular Updates based on PANG Guidelines, iTunes app store
Cahill, S., Stevenson, D. and Watson, M.(March 2012) Quality Standards for End of Life Care in Care Homes in Ireland. Quality in Ageing and Older Adults
Watson, M., Smallnow, L. and Kumar, S. (March 2012) The Path to Developing Unified Care Services in Inda. European Journal of Palliative Care, Volume 19: 2.
McPherson, A. and Watson, M. (January 2012) Opt in or Out. Rapid Response in British Medical Journal
Watson, M. (2011) Back to the Future, Current trends in Breakthrough Pain Treatments. Indian Journal of Palliative Care, Volume 17, pp26-28
Lee, B., Watson, M. and Marek, M. (November 2011) The use of Ultrasound in UK Hospices. European Journal of Palliative Care
Watson, M. (March 2011) Key Questions on Analgesia in Palliation. GP Pulse
McPherson, A., Watson, M. and Murray, S. (2011) Use of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in UK and Irish Hospices: a postal survey. European Journal of Palliative Care
Watson, M., Coulter, S. et al. (2010) Attitudes towards weight and weight assessment in oncology patients: survey of hospice staff and patients with advanced cancer, Palliative Medicine
Cahill, S., Doran, D. and Watson, M. (March 2012) Guidelines for Nursing Homes Delivering End-of-Life Care to Residents with Dementia across the Island of Ireland. Alzheimer's Disease International Conference. London
Watson, M. (2011) Focused Abdominal ultraSound in Palliative Care (FASP) at the Oxford and Newcastle Advanced Pain and Symptom Management Conferences
Watson, M. and Lucas, C. (2011) One day update on the Essentials of Palliative Care. Belfast and London
Watson, M. (2011) Spirituality at the End of Life. International Conference on the Emerging Church with Father Richard Rohr. Swords, Ireland
Watson, M., Foley, K. and Harford, J. (2011) International Palliative Care Seminar. Sloane Kettering Memorial Hospital, New York
Watson, M. (2011) Models for Improving Palliative Care across the worl. Mailman Institute of International Public Health. Columbia University, New York
Watson, M. (2011) Sedation at the End of Life. Royal Society of Medicine Meeting, Scarborough